Sunday, 22 February 2015

Really Orange Cake - week 21

The first half of this week was spent making more assets for the tea party - tea pots, cups, plates, cutlery, and cake stands. I also finished the table and sign.


I based all the designs for the little assets off existing Victorian tableware I'd found, while still trying to keep them in our chosen style.





The second half was spent re-unwrapping and texturing everything I've done so far, including the chairs, so that all the wood could be a tiling texture.





I'm not as happy with the chairs anymore, as there's no variation or detail. 

This week, I also made and mostly finished different food assets for the tea party (though there's still quite a bit left to do on them!). 


The cake is particularly unusual.

I also did some potion designs on Friday (we're going with the purple number 6)



Thursday, 19 February 2015

Take a seat - week 20

Last week, I finished off some more concepts, including some designs for the gardens. As far as I know, none of my concepts will be used for anything, but they were quite fun to do still, and it is practice, even though it's not really my thing at all.


For the garden designs, I looked at existing stately gardens and castle gardens. I also obviously looked at Oxford gardens. As you can see, I tried to incorporate a heart into the last design, to get across the fact these are the Queen of Hearts gardens.
I also attempted to come up with some garden designs that followed some of the patterns on a typical Queen of Hearts card, though I didn't really manage it.




I'm mostly responsible for the tea party area, so I did some doodles for a possible tables, and a fancy chair to go at the end of the table.



In the book, the tea party is described as having an armchair at one end of the table. I based the designs for this chair off some existing Victorian armchairs I'd found. The other 3 chair designs where based on some standard old wooden chairs.

Then it was time to start modeling - yay!








Sunday, 8 February 2015

Off The Map - week 19

Well, this week we started the Off The Map project for the British Library competition. We're in teams of 6 for this one, with 9 weeks to make our games for uni (but obviously longer for the actual competition). Basically, we have to make a level/game based on Alice In Wonderland! You can read about the competition here.

My team has chosen to make a 3d adventure game! We want to be sure to focus a lot on the gameplay. This week was all about concepting and planning - here's everything I did this week.











I would like to get a lot more concepting done still, so I'll probably be spending at least Monday still working on stuff before we move on, but we shall see.